Tuesday, May 28, 2019

We're back!

After a few years hiatus, I thought it would be a good time to reinvigorate this blog.  Why?  Well, for starters, I've always liked working in this format.  It was the first blogging software I learned and I used it for years and years before going more modern.  I like the simplicity of Blogger.  It may look a little retro but you know what?  I don't care.  I'm old fashioned and if there is such a thing as an old-fashioned blogger, then that's me.

I used to blog a lot.  When I lived in Boston, that blog would get 1000-3000 hits a day.  Those were the days.  I don't live in Boston anymore, as longtime readers will know.  I live in New Orleans.  I like it here very much but none of my New Orleans blogs got the traffic my New England blogs did.

Why should you care?  You shouldn't really.  Here we are now.  Let's have a good time.

The New Orleans State of Mind

I'll be writing a lot about The New Orleans State of Mind.  Living here is like living in a different world.  It's America, but it's New Orleans.  Life moves at a different pace here and values are different, too.  As a native New Englander, a cranky Yankee, if you will, I have become acclimated to New Orleans' ways.  I've gone native.

There are still things that drive me up the wall or make me shake my head, but I've lived here long enough, nine years, that I know it's not New Orleans that's crazy; it's me.

I'll also be writing about my neighborhood.  I live on Esplanade Avenue, which I always say is the second most beautiful street in the city.  I spend most of my time in our neighborhood, which is Tremé, or Esplanade Ridge, or Mid-City depending on who you ask.  When I tell people where I live, they reply "Your neighborhood is Esplanade Avenue."  This is true.  The street is an entity distinct unto itself.  It takes some getting accustomed to.

I'll be delving into New Orleans history.  As an armchair historian, I spend a lot of time reading book or looking through old documents at the library.  I'm just finishing up some research on prostitution in the city from its founding to today.  I am not particularly interested in prostitutes but I know some people are fascinated by this particular demimonde.  I noticed something peculiar on a street one day and that got me to doing some research for an essay I'm working on.  Stay tuned.

I'll be publishing rough drafts of essays and stories here, too.  This is the part I like the best.  I'll probably be composing them on the blog.  I don't write any of these entries beforehand.  I improvise as I go along.  I'm not cutting and pasting any of this, for instance.  What you are reading is what I am typing fresh from the top of my mind.  


A few parting words....

So this is the first installment of a new chapter.  I hope you'll follow along for the ride.  There is no pressure on me to do this, so I am more likely to keep up with it.  It is all sui generis and that's the way I like things.   We'll see what comes out of it.  I'm looking forward to it.

In the meantime, if you are looking for someplace to stay when you visit New Orleans, I happen to be an innkeeper.  I run the #1-ranked place to stay in New Orleans (it's been #1 since April 2014 according to TripAdvisor).  You could do a lot worse.  Believe me.  You can choose a lot worse.  If you are looking to experience authentic New Orleans off the usual tourist radar, you know where to find us: in the bright orange house with blue shutters on Esplanade Avenue: La Belle Esplanade.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...