Monday, May 6, 2013

New Orleans Crime Rate

The coner of North Dorgenois and Columbus Streets

All I know is what I read in the papers and online.  We get The Advocate delivered, and I sometimes look at nola.com.  Somebody gets shot by a gun every day in the New Orleans metropolitan area.  Note the distinction.  

If they don’t get shot, they’re stabbed.  Either way, in 2011, there was a murder-a-day with more than a few left over.  The number dropped in 2012, but it was still the highest per capita.  It probably still is today.

Neither Frau Schmitt nor your humble narrator have ever seen a dead body in New Orleans.  

Our house was robbed once.  Not where live now.  This happened when we first moved to the city.  We lived in the Lower Garden District.  I know.  Who would have thought we’d be burgled?  We were hit by a refrigerator bandit. 

The only fight we have seen was uptown.  It was late at night and one woman ripped another woman's hair off in the middle of the street.  I still hear her shriek in my dreams.
The corner of North Dorgenois and Columbus Streets
"I hear New Orleans is dangerous," people tell us.  We suppose it is.  We moved here from Boston.  I get all my news on the street.   I've never learned of a murder through the grapevine.  That's why I read the papers.  

There are panhandlers under the Claiborne Avenue Overpass.  There is no point in lying about it.  There are all sorts of other people, too.  Families have picnics, families have reunions, old friends gather to listen to a ballgame in the shade.  Every local music video contains footage shot under or around the Claiborne Overpass.


There are panhandlers under the Claiborne Avenue Overpass, but they aren't the kind of hustlers, pickpockets, flim-flam artists, false friends, cadgers, confidence men, Hare Krishnas and the other fun police that you'll find in the French Quarter.

An Englishman was pushing a baby in a pram under the Claiborne Overpass.  "Can you spare any change," a panhandler asked.  

"I can't," the Englishman said.  "I left my wallet in Les Saintes Suite."

"All's well, baby.  All's well," the panhandler said.  "Have a good day."   
The corner of North Dorgenois and Columbus Streets
I was on the corner of North Dorgenois and Columbus Streets when the oak tree on the corner caught my eye.  I kept looking upward, but I couldn't see the top of the tree.  It had beautifully twisted branches.

We live in a nice neighborhood.  We live in New Orleans.  Statistically, petty crime is low.  You can meet the friendliest people in New Orleans.  You can meet them on Esplanade Avenue and you can meet them anywhere in the city.

New Orleans is a small city that is a big town.  The people who live here know how to get along.
Painting of the French Market in the New Orleans Museum of Art
A votre sante,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...