Monday, October 7, 2013

Bad pictures of New Orleans

Auto Repair Shop, Jackson Avenue, New Orleans
I was just reading about how it is very hard to take a bad photograph in San Francisco and I thought about another picturesque city that is kind to shutterbugs.  I'll give you two guesses what city I'm thinking of.  Here is a hint:  It starts with New and it ends in Orleans.  We should all be on the same page, now.
View on South Rampart Street, New Orleans
I take pictures on my iPhone.  It is about all I use my iPhone for.  I know I can do other things with it, but I don't see much need for them.  I wait until I get home to check my email.  When I go to the doctor, I take the day's newspaper with me.  When I go out to lunch with Frau Schmitt, I talk to her.  When I'm waiting in line at the post office, I talk to the lady behind me, catching up on the gossip.  When I'm on the corner of North Prieur Street and St. Ann Street, and the light is just right, that's when I pull out my phone.  I take a picture.
Corner of North Prieur Street and St. Ann Street, New Orleans
It is as hard to take a bad picture in New Orleans as it is to have a bad meal.  It happens, but rarely.

We do have a business phone, but the best way to reach us is by email.  Our email address is labelleesplanadebb@gmail.com.  

Our business phone, which is a landline, is hooked up to an answering machine that doesn't always work.  This isn't an indication that we are some kind of shady, fly-by-night operation.  It is just that most people who call are salespeople, and it doesn't bother me if they can't leave a message, and most potential guests who call can have their questions answered on our website.  If we aren't available to answer the phone, resourceful travelers figure out what to do.  We ask that you make reservations directly through our online calendar.  It is more accurate than having me do it with pencil and paper.

St. James Cheese Company, New Orleans
I'm old-fashioned.  Frau Schmitt is not, but she puts up with me.  I think a telephone shouldn't be able to fit in my pocket and it shouldn't be able to take pictures.  I carry an instamatic that takes calls.  

Nobody comes to New Orleans to watch television, and nobody comes to New Orleans to stare at their cellphone.  That's what I've noticed about the people who really enjoy their time here, whether they visit for a weekend or a lifetime.

A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...