Monday, April 28, 2014

Whatever Happened to Lafcadio Hearn?

Jeanne d'Arc in La France Suite
Frau Schmitt was slicing bread the other morning when I interrupted her by saying, "Do you remember that guy from San Francisco who grew up around the block?"

She nodded, "Yes, I remember him.  He and his wife were very nice.  I think they had two kids."  She mentioned some other identifying details regarding their professions, the street they live on, and the husband's opinion on public infrastructure investment.  

I nodded back, "That's the one," I said.  

See the kinds of things Frau Schmitt remembers?  I remember he was very intrigued by Lafcadio Hearn.
Lafcadio Hearn
In the hallway that separates the two halves of our house, I've hung the biographies of noted New Orleans residents.  One of them is Lafcadio Hearn.  This guy from San Francisco was captivated by the story of Lafcadio Hearn, the man who invented New Orleans.  Lafcadio Hearn is kind of a hero of mine, as well.  He had a very impressive mustache.

When you look at a picture of Lafcadio Hearn, it isn't the mustache you see, it's the fact that he's hiding the fact that he's blind in his left eye.  
Lafcadio Hearn from the right
The guy from San Francisco said to me, "He really has a fascinating story."

Steve said to me, "Is any of that real?"

I assured them both that Lafcadio Hearn really existed.  His house is preserved as a landmark even though nobody outside Japan knows who he is.  It's in the middle of a parking lot.  It's the only house left on that block of Cleveland Street.

I read his biography in the hallway this morning.  That's exactly what it says.  I know these stories by heart.  Your humble narrator is a licensed tour guide, after all.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with what I'm talking about
Frau Schmitt was done slicing the bread.  As she was putting the tray on the buffet table, she said, "Did he talk to you about anything other than Lafcadio Hearn?"

He said New Orleans feels like home.  He said that it reminds him of San Francisco.  That's what Tennessee Williams said, too.

Frau Schmitt paraphrased Tennessee Williams for the benefit of people from Cleveland, "There are only three cities in America: New York, San Francisco and New Orleans.  Everywhere else is where you're from."

Everybody has memories.  Be thankful for your good ones.  

A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...