Monday, August 3, 2015

Ode to Golden Flake Potato Chips

It's unexpected
By the time we're done with this installment, you're probably going to wish it was about dancing cats after all.  Well, if wishes were fishes we'd all be eating bouillabaisse.  

The local brand of potato chips is Zapp's and I've featured the various Zapp's flavors and packaging on this blog before.  When you go to the supermarket, though, there are some other local brands, i.e. local to the South, that you may not have heard of if you are from up North.  One brand, in particular, is the official potato chip of Talladega Superspeedway: Golden Flake.
Go 2 DEGA
Golden Flake is the official potato chip of a lot of things, most of which I have no idea what they are since I don't follow sports, including college football.  You can tell I'm not from Alabama, or from Louisiana for that matter.

Golden Flake is the inexpensive brand of potato chips found in the South.  I don't buy them often, but when I do I like the mesquite barbecue.  You just learned something personal about me.
Dip Style
You might think I like this flavor because of the taste.  They're all right on that front.  You might think I like this flavor for the way the crinkle cut construction holds up to aggressive dipping.  No, I don't ever have any dip in the house.  You might think I like this flavor because it's on sale.  You're getting closer, but that isn't the real reason.

I like Mesquite Barbecue Golden Flake Chips because of the doggerel on the back of the package.
Take your poetry wherever you can find it
You'll have to squint to be able to read the poetry in that picture, so let me transcribe it for you here:

A taste like barbecue.....it is true.

But with a touch of smoke.....just for you.

Mesquite barbeque spice in dip style chips because they are stronger.

This makes the flavor last even longer.


Amen, brother.  I get all misty-eyed whenever I read that out loud.  Try it yourself.  I can wait till you're done.

Some people (I'm looking at you Stacy) think that I make up some of the things I write about here.  I really don't have to.  I may emphasize some things for dramatic effect but when you have your eyes open for magic, you'll find it everywhere you look in New Orleans---even on the back of a bag of inexpensive snack food.

Now, since this is a blog about a boutique New Orleans bed and breakfast inn on Esplanade Avenue, let's get down to business.  Here is a picture of the sitting room in Le Pelican Suite:
Note the blue ceiling
À votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...