Friday, October 16, 2015

Greetings from Axemoor!

Your humble narrator
Some people accuse your humble narrator of being a colorful character (in the most complimentary sense), to which he responds that in this business that's an asset.  

Speaking of colorful characters, did you know that New Orleans lies within the boundaries of the Barony of Axemoor?  Talk about some colorful characters.   

Welcome to the world of the Society of Creative Anachronism.  As if New Orleans didn't already have enough layers.  My discovery of this explains why I sometimes see people practicing swordplay in the back corners of City Park.

Within the boundaries of the the Barony of Axemoor are included New Orleans; Slidell, LA; and the Bayou Areas, whatever that last bit might mean.  I assume that last bit means Delacroix, Point à la Hache, and maybe Honey Island.  

La Belle Esplanade, a boutique New Orleans bed and breakfast inn, lies within the heart of the Barony of Axemoor.
Macaroons!!
The Baron of Axemoor has pledged his fealty to the Lord of Gleann Abhann.  New Orleans is not just a part of Louisiana, it's also a part of the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann.  

Should you ever be wanting to give a food gift as an act of homage to the liege of Gleann Abhann, Prince Faelan, please remember that he's anaphylactically allergic to cinnamon and just regularly allergic to avacados and bananas.  Presumably avocados and bananas make his highness break out in hives without constricting his airway.   

Her Royal Highness and Prince Faelan's royal consort, Princess Linnett, lists Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade as one of her favorite beverages.  Aye, 'tis a noble quaff, indeed, milady.

There are other people, though, who think Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade is just okay.  "This is something that, if somebody offers it to you at a party, you drink it to be polite..."


   
If you would like to know what the world looks like to someone in the Society of Creative Anachronism, we've go that covered:
Kingdoms in the Known World
Something tells me that map's not to scale.  What would that be?  The absence of South America.  This is, however, how many North Americans see the world.

I've got to admit that I don't see a lot of people around New Orleans who are drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade.  The six-packs in the convenience stores are all dusty.  This is a cocktail town and it has been long before craft cocktails were in vogue.  We even have a Museum of the American Cocktail.  

The Museum of the American Cocktail is part of the Southern Food and Beverage Museum (SoFAB) which recently reopened on Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard.  The 91 bus, which stops right in front of our house, also stops right in front of SoFAB's new address.  It's a nice ride.  

Frau Schmitt and I haven't been to the new SoFab location, so we're due.  I'll write about it after we go.  That gives you regular readers something to which you can look forward.  Relevant content?  Whodathunkit?

Now, to wrap up today's installment, I'd like to discuss my accent because someone brought it to my attention the other day.  I said to a guest, "When you call a cab, just tell them you want to go to the Quarter."  

Phonetically transcribed, what I really said was: "When ya call a cab, just tell em ya wanna go da de Quawdah."

I sometimes correspond with guests before they arrive and they tell me that my email voice is the same as the voice I use when I write this blog.  That's true.  Like Popeye, I yam what I yam.


That Popeye cartoon is notable for an unexpected Mahatma Gandhi cameo.  Watch for it.  Gandhi was Indian, after all.

If you want to know how I pronounce some words, here's a link to another map.  That will give you a preview of what to expect before we meet in person.

When we do meet, remember, we will meet in Axemoor.

À votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...