Monday, August 17, 2020

The Pandemic Has People Loopy.

 

The Dome in St. Patrick's Church, New Orleans, Louisiana

I forgot I had this blog.  That's how loopy the coronavirus shutdown has made me.  Days of nothing happening, drifting along, had made me unmoored.  It's not just me.  The pandemic has a lot of people loopy.

Here's the update:

I was talking to Diane and she told me that she hadn't shaved under her arms since April.  "Who cares, anymore?" she told me.

I was talking to Brian and he told me that he had to take his family to the beach just to get out of the city.  There are no beaches to speak of in Louisiana so he went all the way to Alabama.  They call that Alabama stretch of Gulf Coast, The Redneck Riviera.

I was talking to Cynthia, who is a musician in normal times, and she told me that she is doing things for money that she normally wouldn't do for free.

I was talking to Kermit (not Kermit Ruffins) while he was lying over a storm drain, puking into it.  He told me he's been drinking more than he did pre-pandemic.  "There's nothing else for me to do," he said.

I was talking to a young lady who I only know as 'Shammy.'  She works at City Hall.  She complained that she had to go to work next week.  She's been collecting a paycheck the whole time.  A lot of people envy her.

The clerks at CVS encourage everyone to use the self-checkout machines.

The taco truck next to the Lowe's parking lot has been open the whole time.  When there is no competition being the only place open for miles is a sure-fire way to make money.  Expect a boom in taco restaurants when this pandemic is over.

I was talking to Ernie.  Lovable Ernie.  He lives to walk his dog.  He's happy that he never has to look out for cars anymore.  "Miss Frisky is happy, too" he said about his dog.

I was talking to Father Tom.  "We live in dark times," he told me.  I agreed with him.  We live in loopy times.

The pandemic has people loopy, it has the whole of New Orleans topsy-turvy.  We will get through this, of course, but I don't want to do it again after this.  Once is enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...