Thursday, June 5, 2014

City of Champions

Portrait of Pic Aveno
It's always a pleasure to wander around the New Orleans Athletic Club.  It's full of mementos from the club's long and storied history.  Unfortunately, the club is only open to members.  It's a common charade for people to pretend they want to join in order to get a free tour of the place.  I'm not recommending anyone do this, mind you, but we do know people who have done it. 

Of the many portraits that hang in the NOAC's hallowed halls, is the picture of Pic Aveno.  It always catches my eye because the photograph is askew in its frame and I think its a shame that nobody has fixed this.  I would volunteer to do it myself, but they probably field enough suggestions from crackpots.

Here's what the plaque on the frame says:
New Orleans history
"Henry L. "Pic" Aveno.  The Y.M.C.A. and South's greatest amateur wrestler.  1905-06-07-08-09-10.  Died August 29, 1985."

He lived to a ripe old age.  See what exercise can do for you?

We don't think any of our guests have pretended to want to join the NOAC just to see the inside, and don't you do it.  It's a busy place.

As far as we know, none of our guests have gone inside the Entergy office on the corner of Canal Street and South Jefferson Davis Parkway.  There's really no need unless you live here.  It's the power company, both electricity and natural gas.  Allow me to show you what it's like to live here:
Inside the Entergy Office, New Orleans
I've been lucky enough to have gone in three times in four years, the last two times were in the past two days.  Lucky me.  Everyone who works there is a joy to talk to.  

I like to go before noon because there's usually an older gentleman who sets up a folding TV tray next to his folding chair on the sidewalk by the entrance.  He's selling pralines.  I assume his wife makes them, but, of course, in New Orleans it's no shame for a man to make good pralines.  

We've eaten a lot of pralines over the two years we've been innkeepers.  That's why we always serve Loretta's.  I had a nice chat with Loretta this morning but I forgot to take a picture of her shop.

There's always next time.  After all, sweet memories are made in New Orleans.

A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...