Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Biggest Frede Fup Fan in America

The biggest Frede Fup fan in America
Who is Frede Fup?  I had the chance to ask the man himself over breakfast.  "It's a name, like Donald Duck," he told me.  Well, that made everything as clear as mud.  "A fup is someone who treats somebody else," he told me.  "Like a doctor?" I asked.  "No, no, like swindler," he answered.

Ah.  I see.  At least I thought I understood at the time.  Now, I'm not as sure but I've still become a big Frede Fup fan.

Between that conversation and now, I think it's safe to say that I've become the biggest Frede Fup fan in America, and I don't even speak Danish.  I know what kaerlighed means, but that's about all.  If I ever go to Copenhagen, I can say "love" over and over without context or conjugation and I'll seem like a crazy person.  I hope most Danes speak a smattering of English, the way most Germans do, otherwise I'll be lost or locked in a looney bin, which are pretty much the same thing.

I don't want to spend my Danish vacation in a mental hospital.  I want to see Hans Christian Andersen's house.  Howzabout a little Danny Kaye?


I went on Amazon to buy a couple of Frede Fup CDs.  There aren't any Frede Fup CDs for sale on the American version of Amazon.com.  I guess I have to move to Denmark, which I won't do for the reasons I've described above.  I only know one word of Danish.  It's an important word, to be sure, but it won't get me very far.


There aren't any Frede Fup CDs for sale on the American version of Amazon.com but there is just one mp3 download of the compilation album "De Største Er Se Små (Sange Til Anker)."  I'm old fashioned, so I don't have an mp3 player, so I didn't part with my 99 cents to get the download of Frede Fup singing "Lystsejlads."  Instead, when I need a Frede Fup fix, I go back to our post from a couple of weeks ago and I watch the video that I posted then.  I listen to it in the background while I do my chores.

I'd love to see Frede Fup perform at the French Quarter Festival or at Jazz Fest or even at Jazz in the Park.  I can see the crowds going wild over this Danish phenomenon. Maybe it's just my imagination, but imagination is a good thing to have when you live in New Orleans.

Our city is a place in which dreams come true.  It can happen to you.  What are you waiting for?

À votre santé,
For dit helbred,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...