Thursday, June 13, 2013

Broadmoor Lives!

A hotel in New Orleans
You could always stay at the Lucky Inn Hotel.  It's just off North Broad Street, on Iberville.  It is a very colorful place done up with with an oriental motif.  I was passing by the other day when it caught my eye.
The door to the lobby
I parked my motor scooter on the corner of Iberville and North Dorgenois Streets and I walked into the Lucky Inn's parking lot to get take an admiring snapshot.  

As soon as the shutter had clicked, a lady's voice came over a loudspeaker.  "Get out.  Get out.  I'll call the police."  I looked in the sky, confused, trying to locate its source.  I didn't see anything amiss.  "Get out, I tell you," the voice said.  "I mean it."  

I was about to put my hands on my hips as I tried to figure out what was going on, then I realized she might think I was reaching for my six-shooters.  I opted to fold my arms and cup my chin.  It occurred to me that she meant me, and that she meant it.  

After that, I continued up North Broad Street past where it becomes South Broad Street.  I circled around the Melpomene Pump Station and I parked on the corner at Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.  
Meyer's Auto Parts
There has been a lot of activity in Broadmoor recently.  It is pretty obvious that Broadmoor lives, as the slogan puts it.  Soon enough, someone will put out a brochure about Broadmoor.  The intersection of Washington Avenue, North Broad and Toledano Streets, and Louisiana Avenue could start to resemble parts of  Freret Street.  I don't know if that is anyone's plan.

Next to Meyer's Auto Parts is a shop that I'm fond of because we share a last name.
Hub Cap King
When our guests borrow our complimentary bicycles, I sometimes recommend they take Jefferson Davis Highway to Washington Avenue so they can take advantage of Jeff Davis' neutral ground and its statues, and see the Blue Plate Building.  Then, I tell them to take Washington Avenue.  It is shady on Washington.  People tell me they enjoy the ride and they will never forget it.  Just make sure you bear downtown at the apex of The Hoffman Triangle.  Otherwise, you'll be on Toledano Street, and that won't be as pleasant a ride.

One Way sign in New Orleans
I just put my hand in my pocket, and I remembered that I forgot to tell you about something else that happened to me on the corner of North Dorgenois and Iberville Streets, diagonally across from the Lucky Inn Hotel.  I found a shiny penny, heads up.

A votre sante,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...