Thursday, June 6, 2013

We have never written a review on Yelp

An inn on Esplanade Avenue
I am waiting to hear from the Yelp salesman.  We didn't set a firm appointment.  He told me he will call me back in June.  Every time the phone rings, I wonder, is that the Yelp on the line?  

I don't know if he's really a salesman.  It's never that he's actually selling me something.  He just keeps telling me to encourage our guests to review us on Yelp.  He calls every few months.  He's pleasant enough, but I don't think anybody loves Yelp as much as he seems to do.  Every few months is just about right.  

I've read enough reviews on Yelp.  None of them were about La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast, or any other New Orleans bed and breakfast, really.  The ads I read were about other things: where to eat, where to get a haircut, where to get your cat spayed.  Things like that.

I decided to spend a day in front of the computer, so I spent some time on Yelp.  In all honesty, I can think of some reasons to use Tripadvisor and bedandbreakfast.com even though Yelp can perform equally well.  I don't know who Bradley N. is, but when he writes a review it is a thing of beauty.  He can stay with us any time.
Treme
We are entering the slow season in New Orleans.  Maybe it's because Yelp blocked our only review so no one can read it.  I prefer to think that it's the heat.  We'll be taking advantage of the lull, making some changes and additions to the inn.  

I replaced some antique toilet seats today with real top-of-the-line models.  No one is disappointed by attention to detail.  None of the new seats has shells in them.  I argued for shells in translucent lucite, but Frau Schmitt was against them.  She is usually right about these things, and she is probably right this time.

A view of our lobby
I've been feeling the lobby seems a bit bare since I moved our stuffed marlin into Les Saintes Suite.  Now that we have a bit of free time, I've scheduled a mission out in the swamps.  I'll be visiting taxidermists in Plaquamines Parish.  Have motor scooter, will travel.
Ready, willing, and able
I've decided we need something new over the mantle.  I've decided on a stuffed duck with an alligator's head.  They are harder to find than you might think.  

Plaquemines Parish is bigger than you think, especially when you are trying to visit every bayou taxidermist within scooter range.  This alliduck hunt is going to take longer than a trip to Baton Rouge.
Five motor scooters viewed from the top of the LA Capitol 
The Yelp salesman should be calling any day now, ready to "yelp-it-up" and give me tips to create a "yelpy" atmosphere around the breakfast table.  We prefer to answer from our own experience, rather than refer our guests to Yelp when they have a question about our neighborhood.  We've never written a review on Yelp.  Neither Frau Schmitt nor I are much of a writer.  We work better in person, with a handshake over a cup of coffee.  

Bradley N said a eyeful when he observed that Esplanade Ridge is a location ideal for exploration.  I say that, myself, almost every morning.

When we have adventures in New Orleans, or in the rest of Louisiana, our home base is La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.  

-A votre sante.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...