Saturday, August 2, 2014

You Bet Your Life in New Orleans

Undertaker, Grave Digger, Auto Repair shop for sale, New Orleans, LA
After she reads our blog, Tammie the Housekeeper will sometimes accuse me of trying to funny with the captions.  It gives us something to talk about when we're tidying up [Ed. Note: Tammie the Housekeeper is really the one tidying up.]  I explain to her that I don't make anything up, here, and she knows that, but there are some things in New Orleans that are so improbable, they can't possibly be true.

But they are.  Tammie the Housekeeper knows that, too.

There really is an undertaker, gravedigger, and auto repair shop for sale.  It's Uptown, in Central City, near where Buddy Bolden used to live.  We live in Mid-City, an entirely different neighborhood.  Just so nobody thinks I'm making this up, I took a picture of the other side of the building for proof that it exists in three dimensions:
These are usually considered three separate professions
I can't make out what was censored on the lakeside of the building, but the small print underneath says, "Not open to the general public."  I didn't try to go in.

All this talk of dying put me in the mind to visit Xavier University. Not because people die there, but because I've been wanting to visit the St. Katherine Drexel Chapel, which has been open about a year.

They're known for their pharmacy school.  Xavier University was founded by St. Katharine Drexel and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament in 1915.  They just built a new chapel on the campus.  It was designed by Cesar Pelli.  It's kind of modern from the outside.
That's I-10 in the background
When I was up there, the Demo Diva was tearing down one of the buildings across the way.  She has pink cranes and dumpsters.  

I don't make any of this up.  I had a picture of it, but now I can't find it.  Here's her website.  She looks just like her picture on the side of a dumpster.  It's uncanny. 

Anyhow, the chapel is kind of modern on the inside, too.
St. Katherine Drexel Chapel, Xavier University
I guess that's the way they're building chapels these days.  

On the way out, I took a picture of a picture of Saint Katharine Drexel.  
Saint Katharine Drexel
Reading about Tammie the Housekeeper without seeing her picture is like saying the secret word without the duck coming down.  For those readers too young to know what this means, we provide a video.  You'll get the reference at 1:04 in.  It's a quiz show.  The host is Groucho Marx, a comedian who had a big film career and then ended up on television.  I've never seen the other two before, but there's something not quite right about the man.  He's the kind of guy who I picture running an Undertaker, Gravedigger, Auto Repair shop.  Who knows?




The moment you've been waiting for:
Tammie the Housekeeper
A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...