Friday, January 9, 2015

New Orleans Train Station: Union Station

New Orleans Train Station
Yep, the train station in the largest city in the South at the time it was built is called Union Passenger Terminal.  How many cities have a Union Station?  Probably just as many that had trains visiting them regularly.  It isn't the greatest name.  By New Orleans standards it's really rather dull.  I would have preferred Destiny Station, or Humanity Station.  

I wasn't alive at the time, though, not that anyone in charge would have asked me anyway.  They could have had a contest, though, like they did when they named the Pelicans.

I was going to put a picture of the Pelicans logo here, but they're a member of the NBA and it's licensed.  I don't want to pay a fee.

The New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal (that's an example of a little keyword stuffing there), was built in the 1950s.  It's a rather interesting story of how it got built and why, but we don't have the space here to go into the details.  What this post is about is the murals in the waiting area.  Get ready...
Mural in the New Orleans train station
I think the artist was depressed or schizophrenic.  When I walk through the main concourse of the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal, I get the heebie-jeebies.  
Another mural in the New Orleans train station
I don't know who approved these.  A committee that didn't care, perhaps.  They aren't very welcoming.  I'm not going to zoom into any details.  Everyone depicted looks either like they're in pain or they're going to suffer a nervous breakdown.  Hey, modern art!
One of the more nonsensical mural in the New Orleans train station
Most of the themes depict periods in New Orleans history, complete with lynchings, murders, and an overall air of anxiety.  In some ways, it's a relief from the usual jaunty Mardi Gras maskers and bug-eyed Louis Armstrong portraits, but not that welcome.  I, for one, would prefer something a little more upbeat.  Everyone looks sick and hungover.  It isn't art for the queasy.
Mural depicting death in the New Orleans train station
Welcome to New Orleans, folks!  I think a total of three trains arrive every day, and three trains depart.  I took a picture of the posted train schedule, which is made of press on letters like you see outside a hotel conference room.  
Schedule in New Orleans Union Station
No clacking signs being updated as the trains come and go.  It's pretty quiet in there.  Just as well.  I feel sorry for the Amtrak agents who have to work there.  Then again, they get to look at posters like this, which I think is very nice:
City of New Orleans poster
Hey!  There's Louis Armstrong!  You can buy that poster from Amtrak if you want to.  It's only ten dollars, which is a very nice price.  

Well, that's all I have to say about the train station.  Tune in next time and I'll be adding to my reviews of the New Orleans Wax Museum.  I know I keep saying that.  It's my way of building suspense.

À votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...