Saturday, January 31, 2015

New Orleans, LA vs. Yonkers, NY

It's Mardi Gras season
The first of the big parades is tonight: Krewe de Vieux, followed by Krewe Delusion.  We're not going this year even though they both pass by the end of our street.  There's no real reason.  Everyone who is staying with us will tell us about in the morning, after all.  Like many things we've done before, this time we'll live vicariously through our guests.  

Instead, we'll be going to the second line parade that is going through our neighborhood tomorrow afternoon.  Not that a second line parade has anything to do with Mardi Gras, but I don't want you to think that we just sit around the inn like shut-ins.  If none of this New Orleans-specific talk meant anything to you, don't worry--- that's the end of it for today.
Congratulations are in order 
We had our three year anniversary in September and it took me this long to buy Frau Schmitt a present.  We've been married longer than three years (it isn't germaine to this article to say for how long), but we're in our third year of business.  That sign is the first thing you'll see when you walk in the door.

Mardi Gras flowers
Every time I'm on Oak Street, uptown, I say it looks like another Magazine Street.  I say the same thing about Freret Street, which is also uptown.  Now, I like Magazine Street, who doesn't? but do we need three of them?  Apparently some people think we do.

I got to thinking about it the other day when I was reading the Wall Street Journal in the library at the New Orleans Athletic Club.  Yes, my gym has a library.  It also has a bar.  It also has a boxing ring.  I could take fencing lessons if I chose.  It's a wonderful place.  It costs a bit more than Anytime Fitness on St. Claude Avenue, but we feel it's worth it.  I can't read the Wall Street Journal in a leather armchair at Anytime Fitness.  What a life, I'll tell ya.

Anyhow, there was an article about what the best college town is.  The author made the case for Yonkers, NY, which is where my brother-in-law if from.  He's a stand up guy. 

I don't subscribe to the WSJ online because I can just read the paper at the gym, so I can't reread the article now.  The gist of it is that all the top ranked college towns are all the same---latte swilling hipster cities overflowing with craft cocktails and alternative music scenes, while Yonkers is more diverse and down to earth.  Yonkers is the opposite of hip (some would say).

New Orleans is like nowhere else.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  We enjoy our neighborhood.  It isn't like any other in the city.  I'm not saying it's better or worse.  It's just different.  If you like that kind of thing, you'll probably like it here.

À votre santé,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...