Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Blue Dot Donuts in New Orleans

Canal Street Streetcar in the morning
We love it when celebrities stay at our inn.  I'm not talking about Rex Hollywood, who is a joy to have around, or about Frede Fup, who really is a celebrity, albeit in Denmark.  I'm talking about celebrities you know---the kind of people you see on your Yahoo newsfeed.  [Apparently newsfeed is a word since spellcheck didn't correct it.  Who knew?]  

I don't follow the Kardashians and I am disheartened that my Wheaties box idol, Bruce Jenner, is famous for what he (she) is famous for now.  No link there.  At least it isn't Mark Spitz.  Could you imagine the electrolysis bill?

Anyhow, back on topic, famous people stay at La Belle Esplanade. I can't tell you who they are.  I've signed a confidentiality agreement, as have the guests who stay in the other suites at the same time.  I can tell you this, though, the conversation at breakfast is just as interesting as it is any other day.  This is a boutique operation.  If you're sitting across from Laura Bush, what are you going to say?  You're going to tell her and her husband where you had the best fried oyster po' boy yesterday.

Laura Bush didn't stay with us recently.  Somebody else did.
That streetcar was still coming up Canal Street that morning
A celebrity is staying with us right now.  I asked if I could write about him in our blog.  He said yes, but he also said we couldn't call him by his real name.  What name did he prefer?  Billy Ockham.  He's traveling with his wife.  They stayed with us for six nights, which is a nice amount of time to experience New Orleans on it's own terms.  It's their 25th wedding anniversary.

"Should I spell that like Ockham's Razor?"  I asked.  "Yes," he said.  "Any relation?" I asked.  "No," he answered.  Here we go.  

You might know him and his bride or you might not.  They are very nice to have around the house and they've been enjoying the Clio Suite balcony that overlooks Esplanade Avenue.  Other than that, I cannot say any more.  My lips are sealed.

Let's listen to a song about Virginia.


Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Over the course of our breakfast conversations, I learned that Billy Ockham has a love of bacon.  It's nothing to be ashamed of.  A lot of people love bacon.  It's one way that Burger King keeps pace with McDonald's.  Wendy's, too.  Bacon.  The more the better, some people say.  Not me.  Not Mrs. Ockham either.  Frau Schmitt says that too much bacon is bad for my cholestrol and she is usually right about these things, but who are we to judge?

Since Billy Ockham loves bacon, I decided to pick up some bacon and maple donuts at Blue Dot Donuts on Canal street.  
Blue Dot Donuts on Canal Street
Blue Dot opened on Canal Street a bit over two years ago.  They're very popular.  The donuts are good.  They have a wide selection of specialty donuts.  When I go, I tend to pick up the maple and bacon johnnie logs, which are the real show stoppers in the case.  If I get there after 7:00, the Jesuit High School students have usually scooped up all the bacon and maple donuts so I have to get there when the shop opens, at 6:00.  I do this for our guests, whether they are international celebrities or not.

Where is that donut shop again?  I probably shouldn't tell you, but I will.
4301 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA
Now you know.  You can call ahead if you are so inclined to make a reservation.

I'd like to tell you more.  Frau Schmitt would, too, but we cannot.  Our lips are sealed.


À votre santé,

La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...