Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Difference Between Housekeeper and Innkeeper

Tammie, the housekeeper
"I read your blog," Tammie, the housekeeper, told me the other morning.  "Why do you always have to refer to me as the housekeeper?" she asked.  "I am more than a housekeeper, you know?"

She is also a mother, a grandmother, and a licensed dental hygienist.  She performs all her roles equally well.  "You and Frau Schmitt make beds and dust and mop, too.  Why do I have to be singled out as the housekeeper?"

I answered that she is La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast's housekeeper, and she should be recognized as such.  "People don't see you as much as they see us," I answered.  "What you do is behind the scenes when the house is empty.  Why should we, the innkeepers, get all the credit?"

"Let's ask Frau Schmitt what she thinks," Tammie said.  "She's usually right about these things."

We asked Frau Schmitt, who thought about it awhile.  "He's right this time," Frau Schmitt told Tammie, the housekeeper, ruefully.  "An innkeeper isn't a housekeeper.  We couldn't do it without you.  People should know that."

With the matter judiciously settled, I asked Tammie, the housekeeper, if she had seen where I had left my glasses.  "They're on the desk in Les Saintes Suite, Mr. Innkeeper," she told me.
The desk in Les Saintes Suite
Tammie, the housekeeper, was right.

A votre sante,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...