Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Weekdays in New Orleans

The view from 2216 Esplanade Avenue
So many people come to New Orleans for a weekend, two or three nights between Friday and Sunday.  You can't blame them.  Those are the days that are easiest to get off from work.  The Crescent City Classic 10k race went by our house this past Saturday (photo above).  Some of those runners stayed only for the weekend.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't spend two nights in New Orleans so that I could spend the morning in between on a 10 kilometer run, but that's me.  I spend all year here.  I spend more time pleasantly strolling picturesque Esplanade Avenue than I do jogging along its shady neutral ground.
The street is not usually this crowded
If I were you, I would come to New Orleans for a weekend, too, but if I could finagle it, I would come during the week.  Here's why:

It's less crowded.  

Granted, Frau Schmitt and I have only lived in New Orleans for three years.  We are far from acclimated to the point of being natives.  It takes much, much longer for that to happen.  We are still tourists in our city.  As I've alluded to elsewhere, between more than 25,000 people moved to New Orleans between 2010 and 2012. That's a lot of people who are still learning their way around.  I don't mean there are less tourists (though there are).  There are just less people.

Sometimes, when I'm walking the dog before breakfast, we turn a corner and I still say, "Now what the heck is going on here?"  I am still not desensitized to the everyday surprises the New Orleans contains.  It is never anything alarming.  It's just something that you wouldn't see anywhere else, only in New Orleans.  

Why are people serving up waffles off a gas grill on their front porch?  Why is a man doing a word search puzzle by flashlight in the middle of the sidewalk at 6:00AM?  What's a Rhode Island Red rooster doing in Louisiana? After I live here long enough, I'll be able to tell you without batting an eye.

It's the only town in which you'll bump into a dog-tired tuba player at 6:15AM.

During the week, there are fewer people who are only here for a day or two.  There are more people who are interested and invested in what makes the city tick.  There are more people with skin in the game.  There is less to gum up the works, get in the way, or vomit on your shoes.  When you commit to spending time in the living city, you may go home hungover after overindulgence, but its the kind of katzenjammer that inspires more daydreams than headaches.

You can stay on Bourbon Street or near the convention center every day of the week and every night will be similar.  Some parts of New Orleans are sold as a constant party.  In the rest of the city, it is a meditation.  For the people who spend long enough here, New Orleans is a city full of surprises you can't read in guide books or tourist brochures.  There are some memories that cannot be manufactured.

If New Orleans East, a part of the 9th Ward, was its own city, it would be the fourth largest municipality in Louisiana.  I know it's nothing to brag about when the competition is Shreveport and Bossier City, but it gives a sense of scope of how big New Orleans is.  There is much, much more to New Orleans than what most people cram into a short stay.

People who only stay a night sometimes ask us if every street is as colorful and tranquil as Esplanade Avenue.  The answer is no.  Not every one.  The vast majority, however, are.
The corner of Banks and South Alexander Streets
After the Crescent City Classic had passed by our house last Saturday, and the guests who had stayed all week had checked-out for a drive back to Chicago, and we wished them fair winds and following roads, Frau Schmitt and I headed uptown.
The only way to travel
We went to the corner of Banks Street and North Alexander Street, in the heart of Mid-City.  We went to Crescent Pie and Sausage Company at 4400 Banks Street.
Est. 2008 in New Orleans, LA 70119

It was a Saturday afternoon, and it was pretty crowded.  Luckily, as a party of two, we didn't have to wait long.  Sometimes, it is all in the timing.  

The restaurant is open Mon.-Sun.  I'm sure it sees its lunch rush during the week (the food is very good) but I am just as sure it is much more relaxed Mon.-Thurs., making the Creole chaurice with sauteed greens and macaroni and cheese even more savory.  

When you don't have to pack a city's worth of experiences into a weekend, you'll find more to enjoy.  Some magic happens in New Orleans during every hour of every day.  It isn't a place where you have to rush from one thing to the next.  Some people experience New Orleans that way and they still fall in love with the city.  It is a very seductive place.

Some people come during the week, adapt to living in New Orleans time.  There's no hurry.  By the third day, they think, "I could live here, too."  When you think of the millions of people who visit New Orleans, very, very few say that after a Saturday night on Bourbon Street.  Stick around awhile during the week.    

In other news...   As our guests for the past two weeks have heard me say, I've been working on fixing the fountain in the back garden.  As all of our guests have heard from myself or Frau Schmitt or Tammie, the housekeeper, I am not very handy.  Unfortunately, I am the resident handyman.  Two weeks of jiggering with the pump and hoses (I dislike getting up to my knees in cold water while playing with electric appliances), and the fountain is working:
Leda and the Swan fountain
The swan is spitting water about four inches into the air.  Of course, it has done it before during the past two weeks, but it never lasted more than a few hours.  I'm pretty confident that the fountain will be adding its dulcet tinkling to the garden air tomorrow morning, and many more mornings after that.

A votre sante.
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...