Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Cornstalk Fence - New Orleans

Dufour Plassan House
There really is a cornstalk fence in our neighborhood.  Not many people know about it, not even the people who live here.  I think it's the most interesting of them, but that's only because it has more fruits and flowers than the other two.  

I always think it's on Crete Street, but it isn't.  It's another block up, on the corner of Bell and North White Streets.
Corner of Bell and North White Streets
I have red beans on my face.  

I told somebody about the fence and I told them it was on Crete Street.  They took me literally and, even after asking somebody who's grandmother lived on the street, they still couldn't find it.  He'd never heard of it.  Imagine?  A beautiful cornstalk fence like this:
Cornstalk fence - Esplanade Ridge
I was going to take a short cut and crib information and pictures of the cornstalk fence off Esplanade Avenue off the internet, but there is remarkably little to find.  It's like this fence is a secret.  I had walk up the street to verify the address and take these pictures.  This may well be the largest cache of images of New Orleans' Esplanade Ridge cornstalk fence in existence.  Feast your eyes:


It's a cornucopia of a fence
I didn't take a picture of the house, or the stained glass window featuring ripe corn.  I was only interested in the fence.  To see it all together in the big picture, you'll have to come back.

A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...