Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Flat Stanley in New Orleans

Flat Stanley at Morning Call
Recently, one of our guests commented that they had gone to Morning Call in the Oaks.

Now, I go to the third Morning Call, in City Park, all the time.  Its got the original bloodlines.   They just closed the second Morning Call in the suburbs, so it couldn't be there.  There's talk about a fourth Morning Call in the Quarter, but it's nothing that's been put on paper.  I don't know anything about Morning Call in the Oaks; never heard of it.  I thought she was talking about Oak Alley.  There's a Morning Call at Oak Alley?

Flat Stanley's staying with us now.  He's a nice enough guy.  I asked him what would be the one thing he wanted to see in New Orleans.  He said, "Morning Call in the Oaks."  I said I didn't know where it is.  "Sure you do, " Flat Stanley told me, "It's where I played on the oaks yesterday."
Flat Stanley in a live oak tree
Kids are always climbing on the 500-year-old live oak trees in City Park.  Did he mean Morning Call in City Park?  Yep, he did.  When we got there, he showed me the menu:
Flat Henry and the Morning Call menu
It's right there in capital letters in red: MORNING CALL IN THE OAKS.  Me and the neighbors have been wrong all this time.  
This menu is served 24-hours
We were getting thirsty by this point.  Flat Stanley asked me to read him the menu.  It was too long to read the whole thing, so I asked him what part he wanted me to read first: Beignets, Local Fare, Cafe au Lait, or Other Treats?  Flat Stanley said, "Other Treats, please."

Here's the Other Treats Menu at Morning Call in the Oaks: Ice cream, popcorn, Irish Coffee, Bailey's Coffee, Mango Freeze, Pralines, Beer: Miller Light, Miller Highlife, Heineken, Blue Moon, Abita Amber, Andigator, PBR, Dixie and Dixie Voodoo, Coors Light.

Notice, they don't list every variety of ice cream.  This is what it's like to live in New Orleans.  Flat Stanley said he wanted a Coors Light.  I suggested we read the Cafe au Lait part of the menu.  That's where you find Milk & Juice.

After he finished his milk, Flat Stanley asked if we could go climb in the oak trees again.  Why not?
Flat Stanley in a live oak, City Park, New Orleans
"This is the best vacation ever," Flat Stanley told me.

Frau Schmitt and I hear that a lot in our line of work.  It's New Orleans, after all.

A votre santé,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...