Wednesday, March 18, 2015

You meet the most interesting people in New Orleans

Your hosts
I'm not talking about us when I say you will meet the most interesting people in New Orleans.  Compared to everyone else, we are as dull as dishwater.  We have a lucky profession, however.  We get to meet the most interesting people.  If you stay with us, chances are that you'll get to meet a couple of gems.

Everyone who lives in New Orleans is proud of their city.  Everyone who visits New Orleans soon gets swept up in the swim of things.  Nothing in the city ever happens on time, nothing works the way it is supposed to, always expect the unexpected.  If it might be true, it probably is.  If something is probable, it will happen---you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Let's look at a video, shall we?


I only speak English and a smattering of vocabulary from other languages that serve me well in a pinch (à votre santé).  Frau Schmitt speaks German, her native tongue, and English, and a little bit of conversational French (she's taking lessons).  Neither of us speaks Danish, which is the language in the video above.  "Kaerlinghed" is the Danish word for love.  

Jazz.

5,615,715 people live in Denmark.  It is the 113th most populous country in the world.  That's a lot of people.  The population of the U.S. State of Louisiana is 4,649,676.  All of these figures are cribbed from the English version of Wikipedia.  I can't make dette eller hint (dis or dat) from the Danish version of Wikipedia.

As we say in New Orleans, Who Dat?

It doesn't matter how a man dresses.  What matters is what's in his heart.  I like to dress up for breakfast.  After all, I'm the host.  You don't pay good money to see me as I look when I roll out of bed.  As innkeepers, how you look when you come down to breakfast doesn't matter to us much.  Don't show up naked.  What matters is what you bring to the table.  If you show up looking like a bum, well, that just makes me look better.  Please do.  Just don't show up naked.

As innkeepers, we meet the most interesting people in our line of work.  We meet people from all over the world.  Celebrities sometimes stay with us.  Nobody makes a big deal out of it.  As a former small-scale celebrity myself (currently fallen into blissful anonymity), I can tell you it's a pain in the neck when people just want to talk about what you are famous for.  When you're a celebrity, you just want to be a regular Joe or Jane once in awhile.  Welcome to New Orleans.

I'll tell you something: it's great to be big in Japan.  I've never been to Japan, so I imagine that it's nice to be well known somewhere far away and still collect royalties---while all the while nobody bothers me and I can shop at the supermarket without interruption, buying my can of sardines in peace with no one caring what brand of sardines I prefer.  That's the dream life.  Here's another dream life: living in New Orleans.

Let's look at another video:



See that singer in this video from the 80s?  He's the same guy as the singer in the first one.  Time is kind.  He is a peach of a guy.  His wife is a peach of a gal.  Time has been kind to her, too, if I can say that without seeming to forward.

You'll meet the most interesting people in New Orleans.  Not necessarily at our inn, though we tend to attract a very interesting clientele, but on the streets, in the bars, and wherever you choose to go.  Even at the supermarket.  A day in New Orleans is an adventure.

À votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

Jazz.  Kaerlinghed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...