Friday, May 16, 2014

Mr. Okra was on my street!!

The mantle in the Clio Suite
I know a lot of German words, but I don't know as many as my lovely partner in innkeeping.  I'm only from Connecticut.  Frau Schmitt is a native a Germany transplanted in New Orleans.  Do you know what Connecticut's state motto is?  Its on the flag that hangs over our front door.  Qui Transtulit Sustinet.  Who Transplants Sustains.  Our other flag is the flag of Hamburg.  

I asked Frau Schmitt what Schadenfreude is.  She said, "It's the sensation of pleasure you feel from someone else's misfortune."  She is usually right about these things.  I hate to ask for reviews.

When you check in, we sit down at the desk in the lobby.  There is usually two of you, and you sit on two chairs on one side of the desk, and I sit in a squeaky chair on the other side with a picture of Buddy Bolden's nervous breakdown behind me.  
Buddy Bolden
What's the first thing I say?  I say, "First, we get the business out of the way.  I need a credit card."  After I jot down what I need, I say, "It's all pleasure after this."  And I mean it.  It's not about the money.  We need it to keep the inn open, but cash flow isn't what being a professional innkeeper is about.  We love where we live.  Our job is make you feel welcome in the city we call home.  We call it home for good reasons.

Home is where the heart is.
You knew this photo was coming
The other day, a lovely couple told us at the end of their stay, "We can't believe you're new to this.  You're the best, most natural innkeepers ever!"  [Ed. Note:  If you're reading this, no, it's not you.  A few different people said it that weekend.]  

I blushed while Frau Schmitt elbowed me in the ribs.  The customer is always right, especially when they're company.  It's like Tammy the Housekeeper always says, "Good guests make good company."  She learned that from me.
Tammy the Housekeeper
On behalf of Frau Schmitt, myself, and Tammy the Housekeeper, an army of three, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and wishes.  We make it up as we go along.  We improvise and solo like jazz.  It's New Orleans.  We cross our fingers that whatever we are doing works well.  We are happy to see you and we like to share.  We try to be honest.  Your reviews are our bread and jelly.  In New Orleans, the best part is lagniappe

Tammy the Housekeeper always needles me to ask departing guests to write us a review on Trip Advisor.  Frau Schmitt tells her that it wouldn't be polite.  She tells Tammy the Houskeeper that practicing a profession well is its own reward.  Frau Schmitt is usually right about these things.  Tammy the Housekeeper tells her, "A little praise goes a long way, too."  Frau Schmitt knows.  That's why she's always telling Tammy the Housekeeper when she does a good job. It's all the time, for Pete's sake.

Even though Tammy the Housekeeper thinks we don't know that she finds change in the sofas and keeps it, she does a good job.  So does the gardner, the maintenance man, the webmaster, the termite inspector, the Fire Chief, our mailman, our meter reader, the paperboy and the tax assessor.  A lot of people say that the mayor is doing a good job, too.  Not everybody, but most.  

Sometimes, when we're talking to the neighbors on the corner, Mr. Okra comes by:



When Mr. Okra is in the neighborhood, it's gonna be a good day.
A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...