Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Orange House on Esplanade Avenue

I found an old picture in a shoebox
I've chosen the title of today's post with a motive in mind.  You see, I googled a phrase that I thought people would google after they've taken one of the bus tours that roll down Esplanade Avenue.  You see, the buses always stop in front of our house.  I don't know what they're talking about in there, but I can see the flashbulbs pointed at the inn.  I don't blame them, I take pictures of the house all the time.  It's beautiful.
Orange house on Esplanade Avenue, in Treme
Anyhow, I wondered what I would google if I wanted to learn more about that orange house on Esplanade Avenue after the tour?  Or, if I was taking a bike tour and the guide stopped at the park across the street, I snapped a photo, and a week later, I might wonder...What's the story behind that orange house on Esplanade Avenue?  If that were me, this is what I would google: "Orange House on Esplanade Avenue."

I tried it today and guess what came up first?  An Air B&B rental around the corner from us.  You won't find out anything about our house that way.

Some people say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  They painted the house on the corner of North Rocheblave and Barracks Streets a couple months ago.  I asked the painter how the owner came up with the colors.  All the painter would say was that he couldn't say.
Corner of North Rocheblave and Barracks Streets
According to the listing, the owner is renting a sturdy ground floor apartment that sleeps four on a futon and on a cot that can be moved around the house as occupants see fit.  The cot is for the fourth person.  From what I can figure from the description, the futon is meant to sleep three.  The minimum stay, according to the listing, is 2 nights.

The city maintains a list of licensed short-term rental properties on its website.  You have to scroll down a bit, then they're listed in alphabetical order by registered business name.  See what you can find.

There are plenty of licensed B&Bs in New Orleans.  We belong to the Professional Innkeepers Association of New Orleans (PIANO). If we don't have a room available, check out the website the association maintains for its members: bbnola.com.  


There is a beautiful orange house on Esplanade Avenue:
A more recent photo
You know where to find it:
2216 Esplanade Avenue
We live on a very beautiful street.

A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...