Thursday, May 1, 2014

Your New Orleans questions answered

Knights of Electra Mardi Gras parade poster
I don't know what most people do as their first night of the second weekend of Jazz Fest winds down, but I imagine a few of you readers go through our archives of blog posts.  One such reader emailed me recently with a question.

Dear Mr. King,

I recently read your blog post dated April 2nd, 2013, "Weekdays in New Orleans."  I would like to commend your unique ability to evoke what it is like to live in the City Care Forgot.  I have learned so much about the Crescent City from reading your blog.  You have true talent.  Reading your blog has brought me new appreciation for the Big Easy.  You've made me want to move to New Orleans.

In April 2013, you wrote:

"Why are people serving up waffles off a gas grill on their front porch?  Why is a man doing a word search puzzle by flashlight in the middle of the sidewalk at 6:00AM?  What's a Rhode Island Red rooster doing in Louisiana?"

Can you tell your eager fans if you're now able to shed some light on these things, now?

Signed,
An Anonymous Pal
A nice place to consider a response
Dear Pal,

Thank you for your kind words, but over-the-top flattery and phony enthusiasm will get you nowhere.  We don't offer government or military discounts.  We are negotiating with AAA, but nothing's final yet.  With that out of the way, I can answer your other questions.

When you see people serving up waffles from their front porch gas grill, or serving macaroni dinners out the side door, or fish fry plates from their kitchens, it usually means someone has died and the family needs to raise money for the funeral.  It's usually ten or fifteen dollars a plate, less for breakfast.  You can afford it.

When you see an old man doing a word search puzzle by flashlight next to the McDonough High School gym, you don't ask why anymore.  You just accept that some people do things for reasons all their own.

There are a few flocks of semi-feral chickens that run through our neighborhood.  Rhode Island Reds are the most popular cocks because they are hardy and they make the hens lay brown eggs.  In New Orleans, brown eggs are cheaper than white, and that's what you put in yak-a-mein.  In New Orleans, you can have yak-a-mein for breakfast.

This is what I have learned so far.  I may be wrong.  I'm sure someone will tell me if If am.  Then, I'll have more information and more better answers.  When you try to describe some things in New Orleans, the words don't always come out right.

I hope this both satisfies your curiosity and whets your appetite.  There are adventures to be had in New Orleans.  I know just the place to stay.
La belle Avenue d'Esplanade
Sincerely,
Your Humble Narrator
A votre santé,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast
A votre santé

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...