Sunday, July 26, 2015

Hustling in New Orleans

Tammie the Housekeeper's coat-of-arms

Regular subscribers to our blog have written to ask why I haven't written updates this past week.  I appreciate your concern, regular readers, but I'm not at liberty to say. What I can say is that even though July is the start of our slow season in New Orleans, Frau Schmitt and I have been hustling and I don't mean just like this:


You might think this next bit is apropos of nothing, but there's a reason I'm going to write it:

It's not what you do, it's how you do it.  Be anything you want to be.  It's not what you've got, it's how you use it.  You be you and I'll be me.  It's a matter of style.  

If you think that last paragraph doesn't sound like your humble narrator, you have a good eye and you're right.  I plagiarized it from Ray Stevens.  Of course, now that I've given him the credit, it isn't plagiarism, is it?

The contents of that paragraph are anodyne enough but it isn't the sentiment that attracts me to them.  There's a reason these words have been running through my head recently and it has nothing to do with the brunch we had recently at La Crêpe Nanou.
La Crêpe Nanou
La Crêpe Nanou is a French restaurant on Robert Street, within spitting distance of Robert Street's intersection with Prytania Street.  It's a nice part of Uptown.  We don't normally send guests there because it's a bit out of their way and the restaurant doesn't take reservations.  It's first come-first served.  Some people like the guarantee of a reservation if they are going to go out their way to a neighborhood they haven't read about in the guide books.  We can't blame them, so, while we'll discuss La Crêpe Nanou, we rarely recommend it except to the most adventurous.  Even if you can't get a table, or there's an hour wait, there are plenty of other good restaurants nearby, but, again, those places aren't in the guide books.  It's an adventure that's worth it.

The inside of La Crêpe Nanou is as quirkily appealing as the outside and the food is outstanding.
Exterior of La Crêpe Nanou
There's a replica of the Eiffel Tower over their front door.  I always think that's a nice touch.  I wouldn't mind a replica of the Eiffel Tower to put in our lobby.
Over the entrance to La Crêpe Nanou
Even though July is supposed to be the start of our slow season, and it is slower than the previous six months have been, there has still been a steady stream of guests at the inn.  In fact, they have been as numerous and as varied as the cast of Cannonball Run 2.  How numerous and various?  Check out this clip at 1:35 for a list in alphabetical order if you can't sit through the whole minute and a half before that (sit through it):


I was talking to Tammie the Housekeeper about how we aren't as slow this year as we were last year.  "Are you complaining?" Tammie the Housekeeper said.  "I would think that being busy is a nice problem for an innkeeper to have."

She had made a good point, of course.  Sometimes, I think Tammie the Housekeeper spends too much time with Frau Schmitt.  Frau Schmitt is usually right about these things, too.
Tammie the Housekeeper

Did you know Tammie the Housekeeper's family has a coat-of-arms?  I didn't either until she showed it to me.  Tammie is a Cajun, not a Creole.  Her family comes from out in the swamp, descended from French Canadians, French Canadians who have a long lineage that goes back to the founding of Normandy, no less.  Who knew?  Now I know.  You do, too, gentle reader.  When you stay with us, you are staying with noble gentry.

Shazbot!  All this talk about La Crêpe Nanou made me think of something else:




Na-Nu Nan-Nu,
La Belle Esplanade bed and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...